The Top Crypto IRA Companies Reviewed and Rated
Diversify your retirement portfolio with cryptocurrencies. We review the top cryptocurrency and bitcoin IRA providers to help you choose.
Investing in Digital Currency to Protect Your Retirement Wealth
A traditional individual retirement account (IRA) is one of the best ways to save for your later years and provide financial security for the future.
But if you are worried about how inflation and stock market turmoil is going to affect the value of your investments, then looking at diversifying your IRA through alternative assets such as digital currency and precious metals, which may be good options for you.
We have researched many of the most popular self-directed crypto IRAs to bring you our list of the top six providers based on their reviews, fees, customer experience, choice of assets, expertise, security and more.
Quick Look: Best Crypto IRA Companies of 2022
1. iTrustCapital Review – Best Overall
Topping our list as the best overall crypto IRA company is iTrustCapital. With exceptionally low fees and self-trading 24/7 through their innovative platform, this company makes it easy for both new and experienced investors to get started with a self-directed bitcoin IRA.
iTrustCapital also offers instant access to trading in physical gold and silver through their retirement accounts alongside your digital currency assets.
As with most crypto IRA companies, iTrustCapital is a fairly new organization (founded in 2018) but they already have a lot of positive feedback with a Trustpilot rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars across 2,200+ reviews.
The firm has also gained an ‘A’ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB),which is good to see.Investors with iTrustCapital benefit from some of the lowest fees we have found, and unlike many competitors, they publish these openly on their website:
- No setup or monthly fees
- Flat rate 1% crypto transaction fee
- Gold transaction fee – $50 over per ounce spot price
- Silver transaction fee – $2.50 over per ounce spot price
iTrustCapital supports over 25 distinct types of coins and tokens through their crypto SDIRA including Bitcoin (BTC), Axie Infinity (AXS), Ethereum (ETH), Polygon (MATIC) and Litecoin (LTC).
Read our full iTrustCapital review for more details.
iTrustCapital Crypto IRA – Pros and Cons
- Low trading and account fees
- Only $1,000 investment required to open an account
- Assets secured by Coinbase Custody and Fireblocks
- $320 million coverage provided through Coinbase Custody
- Hold crypto, silver and gold all in one account
- 24/7 self-trading platform for real time trades
- Conditional transactions available
- Supports over 25 cryptocurrencies
- BBB ‘A’ rating
- No Business Consumer Alliance (BCU) rating
2. Alto CryptoIRA Review – Best for Low Fees and Minimum Investment
Alto and their CryptoIRA product make it very easy to get started for newcomers to invest in crypto for retirement. You can open an account offering all the tax advantages of an IRA with just a $10 investment and enjoy some of the lowest fees in the industry. Also, the 24/7 trading platform is integrated with Coinbase for a wide choice of digital currency.
The company also offers another product called the Alto IRA that allows you to diversify your portfolio into other alternative investments such as fine art, real estate, and venture capital.
Launched in 2018, Alto is another relatively new cryptocurrency IRA provider that has already gained a lot of great reviews from its customers. The firm’s focus is on education and support for its customers; and with a 4.4 star out of 5 on Trustpilot based on more than 1000 reviews, they are clearly on the right path.
The company also offers a completely free concierge service to help you setup and fund your crypto IRA.
Alto has publicly stated that they do not believe in investment minimums, commissions or hiding their account fees. The firm’s current published fee structure is as follows:
- $0 Custody fee
- $0 Account fee
- Trade fee – 1% of the order size
- $10 minimum investment
Alto’s integration with the Coinbase trading platform allows you to access over 200 digital coins and tokens including Ethereum (ETH), Ethereum Classic (ETC), Bitcoin (BTC), Chain (XCN), Quant (QNT) and many more.
Alto CryptoIRA – Pros and Cons
- Industry leading low fees
- $10 minimum investment
- Crypto assets secured through Coinbase Custody services
- Commercial crime coverage of $320 million
- Offline digital asset storage
- 200+ digital coins and tokens
- 24/7 real time trading platform integrated with Coinbase
- No BBB or BCA ratings
- No precious metals available
3. BitcoinIRA Review– Best for Most Trusted Crypto IRA
As the first to bring to market a crypto IRA platform that is now used by hundreds of thousands of investors, we have selected Bitcoin IRA as our most trusted provider. Founded in 2015, this full-service company has a wealth of experience with world-class standards of security to ensure your investment is safe. Their industry leading 24/7 trading platform allows you to trade any time of the day or night with reports, live price tracking, and many other features.
In 2020, the company added the ability to hold gold assets inside your account alongside crypto coins and tokens.
Setting up an account takes just a few minutes and there are plenty of excellent reviews on Google for the company with a 4.6-star rating from over 700 reviews. The company also has the highest A+ rating from the BBB , and is a member of the Forbes Finance Council.
However, Bitcoin IRA has some of the highest fees in the industry and many of the negative reviews found online refer to these fees. Currently their fees are:
- Account setup – 5.99% of incoming funds
- Buy and sell trading fee – 2.00%
- Account admin – 0.08% with a minimum of $20 per month
Although the Bitcoin IRA platform was launched with the bitcoin name, you can also trade in 60+ other currencies, including Ethereum (ETH), Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Dogecoin (DOGE) and Chainlink (LINK).
BitcoinIRA – Pros and Cons
- World’s first crypto IRA
- Digital assets secured with BitGo Trust
- All assets stored in offline cold storage
- $3,000 minimum investment
- BBB A+ rating
- $700 million BitGo custody insurance
- Invest in 60+ crypto coins and tokens plus gold
- 24/7 self-trading platform with app
- Higher fees than many other providers
4. BitIRA – Best for Account Security
We had no hesitation in selecting BitIRA as the best crypto IRA for security as they are well-known for their comprehensive safeguarding measures. They really go the extra mile to secure your account with multi-encryption authentication for transactions and end-to-end insurance.
They even store your transactions as physical keys in cold storage inside guarded grade-5 nuclear bunkers!
Established in 2017 by the team from Birch Gold Group, BitIRA prides itself on its reputation for quality and excellence, and currently maintains the top ratings from both the BBB (A+) and the BCA (Triple-A).
They offer a guided process to set up an account that involves working with one of their specialists rather than doing it yourself online. This does mean opening an account will take longer than with other providers where you can set up an IRA in minutes.
BitIRA does not publish any fees on their website and states that costs will vary for every account, so the best way to find out is to contact them directly.
A cryptocurrency individual retirement account with BitIRA currently allows you to trade in up to 18 different coins and tokens including Bitcoin (BTC), Chainlink (LINK), Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Ethereum Classic (ETC), and Ethereum (ETH).
BitIRA – Pros and cons
- Dedicated crypto IRA specialists available
- $5,000 minimum investment
- 5-layer world-leading security features
- 100% offline cold storage
- End-to-end $100 million insurance
- 24/7 online account dashboard
- 18+ cryptocurrencies supported
- BBB A+ and BCA Triple-A ratings
- Authorized Consumer Affairs partner
- Genesis trading platform partner
- No transaction fees published on website
- Must speak to a specialist to open an account
5. Regal Assets – Best for Investors with Large Accounts
One of the top gold IRA companies in the country, Regal Assets also now offer retirement investors the ability to invest in crypto alongside precious metals through their Regal IRA product. You will need $200,000 to open a crypto account, and as the firm is very well respected, we placed them in our top spot as best for large investors.
They are also the only crypto IRA firm with access to metals where you can own physical gold and silver bars and coins rather than digital ownership rights.
Founded in 2009, Regal Assets are highly rated with an overwhelming number of positive reviews online including 4.6 stars out of 5 from over 1000 comments on Trustlink. They have a great reputation for excellent customer service and the BBB have awarded them their top A+ rating.
Opening an account can only be completed through contacting one of their customer representatives, and that is also the only way to find out what their crypto trading fees are.
Other costs and fees are competitive considering they include storage for both physical and digital assets; and a big plus is that they are waived for the first year:
- $150 per year for cold storage
- $100 per year custodian and admin fees
- No account setup fees
Regal Assets lists over twenty of the most popular coins and tokens to invest in on their website, including Bitcoin (BTC), Dogecoin (DOGE), Ethereum (ETH), and Chainlink (LINK). More options are available on their website.
Regal Assets Crypto IRA – Pros and Cons
- Flat rate account fees waived for the first year
- BBB A+ and BCA AA ratings
- Offline cold storage plus full insurance
- One of the first authorized U.S. companies to manage crypto IRAs
- Invest in both physical precious metals and cryptocurrencies
- Over 20 coins and tokens available
- Trading fees not disclosed on website
- $200,000 minimum for a crypto IRA
6. CoinIRA – Best for Investor Experience
Our final crypto SDIRA company on our list is Coin IRA, our vote for the best in crypto IRA investor experiences. With low account fees, easy account opening, and expert help readily available from their own consultants, they really deliver on their mission of exceeding customer expectations and delivering excellence.
It is clear that Coin IRA focuses on building lasting relationships with their customers, so you can be sure they will do everything they can to help you grow your investments.
Coin IRA has a team of dedicated cryptocurrency IRA consultants available during normal working hours through phone and web chat, which has really proven popular with their customers. The Better Business Bureau has given them their top A+ rating and our experience of using their live web chat was very positive, with easy access to knowledgeable staff.
The firm openly lists their fees on the web site, and they are some of the lowest in the industry:
- No setup, maintenance, or storage fees
- Transactions – 1.25% on buys, 1% on sells
A self-directed alternative investment retirement account with Coin IRA will currently allow you to invest in around 18 of the most popular digital coins and tokens including Bitcoin (BTC), Bitcoin Cash (BTC), Litecoin (LTC) and Ethereum (ETH).
CoinIRA – Pros and Cons
- Great investor experience
- No fees to open an account
- $5,000 minimum investment
- 100% offline storage
- 18+ coins and tokens available
- Custody insurance of up to $100 million
- BBB A+ accredited
- Industry leading digital asset security
- Online 24/7 trading platform with Equity Trust
- Open an account in 5 minutes
- Less crypto coins than some competitors
- No precious metals available
Which Crypto IRA Company Should You Choose?
We believe that you will have a great experience with any of our top 6 crypto IRA providers, but iTrustCapital stands out for us as the best overall.
Each company has their specific strengths, of course; so, if you are looking for something particular from your digital currency SDIRA, then look into the one that we have identified as offering that particular service or product.
Above all, it’s important that you do your own research and talk to your financial advisor or tax professional to ensure a crypto IRA is a good fit for your retirement investment plans.